Shenzhen City Dingrun Light Textile Import & Export Corp. Ltd
Shenzhen City Dingrun Light Textile Import & Export Corp. Ltd
CD Block, 12 / F, Shang Bu Building, No.68 Nan Yuan Road, , Futian District, Shenzhen, 518000, China
Initial contact with the supplier:
Online Supplier Directory
Type of product(s) being purchased:
Value of the Purchase Order when the incident occurred:
3,001 to 6,000 USD
Destination market of order in question:
Type of Complaint(s):
missed lead times, compromised intellectual property , contract violations, scams & other unethical activities
Stage of relationship with the supplier at the time of the incident:
I was originally quoted by Melinda at Shenzhen Dingrun Textiles initially for a FULL COLOUR fibre reactive Sports Towel – I had sent her a screenshot of the proposed artwork layout and confirmed detail and pricing was all correct. Our client proceeded with the order but imposed an urgent delivery date for an upcoming event the goods were required for. I had confirmed with Melinda on MULTIPLE occasions that the delivery date HAD to be met and asked for her confirmation. I was advised if a PO and deposit can be received promptly, the factory had no problems meeting my delivery. So I placed the Purchase Order and arranged the deposit to go out the next day, 4 days after they had received my deposit, i get an email from Melinda apologising and saying that they would need to transfer the funds back to me as the pricing was misquoted. Went through a series of negotiation as it was far too late for us to cancel the order with the client, and the price was increased and we pushed forward with the order. After we pushed forward with the new price, the supplier pushed forward with sampling and that went horribly wrong. Only then she had advised to me they were limited to the maximum of 12 colours and our artwork had 18. I requested for full colour print for a reason and she couldn’t even explain to me exactly WHY it was limited to 12 colours if it was digitally printed. Due to this we had to get a 2nd sample made up for approval. Throughout this time i emailed and skyped daily with Melinda confirming and double checking that the delivery date could be met at which they had still confirmed ok. Melinda then emails me days later saying that she had to hand this job over to her colleague, Colette as she was quitting. I was assured that Colette understood CLEARLY the urgency of the job and the previous issues we’ve had with pricing and sampling. So the 2nd sample was approved with Colette, the order pushed forward in mass production with me checking in at least 2 a week to confirm the goods can be delivered promptly and in time – by which was always confirmed ok. Delivery port was FOB Shenzhen so i started to check sailing schedules with my freight forwarder and found a suitable vessel to meet my deadline – Colette then went on annual leave and Melinda, who had apparently quit, but still managed to email me in Colette’s absence took over once again confirming goods were on track for delivery. I checked in every 2 days to ensure the order was on track – Melinda yet again confirmed all ok. Come 2 days before my vessel cut off, i was advised by Melinda that the job is not only delayed, but the whole job was OUTSOURCED to another factory based in SHANGHAI……What the hell….seriously…what the hell…..all this time i thought the goods were produced in Shenzhen and it turns out to be 1,500kms away. All this time, i had made both Melinda and Colette well aware i cannot afford any delays with this order and that we wouldn’t be liable for any costs to airfreight the goods if delivery wasn’t met. I made it very clear the implications and the consequences of how urgent this order was and each time the supplier responded with confidence saying my delivery was met. So they missed my cut off – and it was a whole new set of negotiations to share the costs for airfreight. I sent them copies of the quote from my freight forwarder to ensure i was open and transparent about all the costs born to us. In fairness i advised the supplier that our company would offer to put in the cost of local clearance and charges that we would’ve otherwise had to pay on SEAFREIGHT and they could cover the rest. I was then advised by Colette that they would only accept 1 of 2 options: 1) Use their freight forwarder and they will cover all the costs for freight (no local charges) or 2) they will pay 1/3 of the price quoted by my freight forwarder. I went back to Colette and i needed to get a quote from their freight forwarder to get an idea of the costs out of our pocket. 2 days later i finally get their forwarders information, and i finally got the costs approved by my boss to push forward based on their freight forwarder. Then after approving the costs with Colette, they decided to retract the offer and made responded with the following:
“We’d like to arrange the shipment ASAP. but my boss said according to her 23 years experience of doing business, It’s unreasonable for us to undertake all the responsibilities.
For this order of 2,000 pcs face towel, we never stopped working. made the mould, took the pictures, sent the sample……It was operated orderly.
The freight that she could accept is 1/2 (USD x.x)of the total freight. The cheapest we got from the forwarder is USD xx. We could pay the total freight. She was very angry with me for this sentence and mentioned that you were doing business, not charity.”
We were held at ransom basically – its either we paid them the additional freight and had to wait for the funds to clear into their account before they would release the goods or lose the whole order altogether (we had paid for the balance of the goods promptly as the trading terms were balance payment prior to dispatch).
So we had no other choice but to pay the additional freight cost to move the goods on THEIR freight forwarder. The goods got to us in the end, but we were losing the money on this job right from the beginning from when it was misquoted right through to the delivery.
If the supplier didn’t feel right, just cut your losses and go. The moment the supplier changed the price on me, i should’ve just cancelled the order with our client. I wouldn’t deal with such a dishonest factory and i was genuinely surprised. Usually our supplier evaluations are quite accurate and the Chinese factory looked really promising on paper.